Tuesday, February 8, 2011

First Impression: Gosick

Title: -ゴシック- (Gosick)
Genre: Mystery

Summary:
GOSICK takes place in 1924 in a small, made-up European country of Sauville. The story centers on Kazuya Kujo, the third son of a Japanese Imperial soldier, who is a transfer student to St. Marguerite Academy, where urban legends and horror stories are all the rage. There he meets Victorique, a mysterious yet beautiful and brilliant girl who never comes to class and spends her days reading the entire content of the library or solving mysteries that even detectives can't solve.



[Screencaps, OP and ED vids are to follow. It'll be up most probably on Friday]


Impression:

Don't get fooled by the very vague summary 'cause you'll only get a gist of what this show is really about. I was not disappointed in this show so far since this is turning out to be a really good mystery series and coupled with detective like themes ala Detective Conan but does dwell in its characters and story not with random killings the protagonists randomly encounters every episode. What I really like about this series when I first watched it was actually Victorique since she is so damn cute that I want her to pop out of my computer screen then I'll go play with her *shot*….ahem, sorry I just got carried away. Anyway, another aspect that I like from this show is the way the characters develop and the way they act with one another since its fun to watch Victorique's 'dere' side and Kujou being dense. So far I like the pacing of the show since I was never bored and there's a lot of potential for the story and character development because it'll have 24 episodes. I'm really impressed on how this series used the popular ghost stories I know like the Queen Berry, 13 steps and various others I don't recognize and fuse them together to make one breathtaking story and mystery I've encountered this season.

About the characters, they are very likeable from Kujou who is quiet dense and often found himself in trouble, the lolita tsundere Victorique who is good in making sense of the "chaos" and solves the cases every episode and let's not forget the incompetent detective with that outrageous hair Grevil, who is also revealed as the half brother of Victorique. Character-wise, the current 5 episodes of Gosick, there were already a couple of revelations about the character of Victorique that she is an illigitimate child of one of the powerful families in her country thus the reason why she was once imprisoned in the basement of the de Blois mansion and even when she was sent into school she was still under strict orders to never leave the campus. So far, that's all I know about Victorique and I'm hoping that there'll be more revelations in the future with that indication in the OP animation.

Hell yeah! Like I said in my previous tweets that this season has the best OP and ED song so yes, the OP and ED of Gosick is really good and somehow it brings me in the overall mood of the series and coupled with great animation and a lot of hints from the OP animation I'm really excited and impressed at the same time. I like the OP animation mainly because of its style, the water color hue and stained glass like effects coupled with effects of a pop-out book, simply amazing. The ED song on the other hand is a lot darker and I also love it. Not only is it catchy but it was coupled with gorgeous illustrations of Victorique and Kujou but unlike its OP counterpart, it doesn't give us much hint on the future episodes but it does give us the dark Victorian mood as the series ends. Also, I love how Aoi Yuuki (Yagyuu Jubei) voiced Victorique since I didn't recognize her at first mainly because her voice is very different here as Victorique and I'm used with her voicing Juubei. Let's not forget how she voiced the "ha-ha-ha-ha" laugh of Victorique, its really memorable, adorable and hilarious since I don't know if that's really her laugh or she's just nervous during that time.

Overall, this is one promising series and I hope I won't get bored with it and also I expect more Victorique cuteness to come. Like I said, this will run with 24 episodes and currently with its pace I think it'll have a deeper story and greater development to Victorique and Kujou's characters. So yes, I'll keep this one On Watch. I really hope this one will be the next awesome anime from Bones that will be on par with Ouran and FMA.

Until then…

~ ja

No comments:

Post a Comment