Friday, April 1, 2011

Spring 2011 Anime Preview

With last season’s impressive shows somehow I find this season a bit of a let down but that’s just a first impression since its not airing yet so we shall see as the series airs whether they are good or what. With a total of 44 shows this season this season sure is jam packed compared to last spring’s 23 shows.

My sources are: AniDB, ANN, MAL, Fansub Wiki and Moetron
**If you want to watch the Nico Spring  Anime Preview with the compiled date, time & PV/trailer just proceed at the end of this post. (Though its in Japanese)

(Spring 2011 chart courtesy of Moetron)


Kämpfer für die Liebe
Release Date:
April 7, 2011
Animation Production: NOMAD
Episodes: 2
Trailer (Click the PV tab)


Summary:
A two-episode special. They are designated as Episode 13 and 14, and the first episode is a direct sequel to the previous series and the second episode is about the trans-sex of Natsuru.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I honestly don’t know why I like this show but I think its probably because of the premise or even the quirky characters. Of course since I love the original series I’ll be watching this.
Sid: For some reason Kampfer is one of those shows I will always go back to because I really like the non-main-character girls. The story isn’t all that great, the action is good, and the soundtrack isn’t anything above average. Yet being so drawn to it I will probably watch these two episodes because I really wanted a second season. If this is as close to that as I will get… well darn.


X-Men
Release Date:
April 1, 2011
Animation Production: Madhouse
Episodes: 12
Trailer 1, Trailer 2

Summary:
The X-Men are reunited following the death of a teammate, and are summoned by Charles Xavier to Japan following the abduction of Hisako Ichiki (Armor). There, they confront the U-Men, a lunatic cult that steals and transplants mutant organs to further strengthen their own army, and the battle for justice is on.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Like I said in my previous season previews, I don’t like watching east meets west shows since they usually don’t work out so yes I’ll pass again on this one.
Sid: Sorry MADHOUSE I didn’t watch your past two and I wont watch this one.


Jewelpet Sunshine
Release Date:
April 2, 2011
Animation Production: Studio Comet
Episodes: ?

Summary:
The Plum Section of the 3rd grade class at the Sunshine Academy in Jewel Land are also known as "the Leftovers." Ruby and her classmates aim to graduate and follow their dreams.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I’m not really familiar with the Jewelpet series so this is another pass.
Sid: I’m expecting very little from this series if not less. I’ll still check it out just in case it surprises me. But man do I hate cute, and third grade with brightly colored pets screams it.


Dog Days
Release Date:
April 2, 2011
Animation Production: Seven Arcs
Episodes: 12

Summary:
Republic of Biscotti faces a predicament by the invasion of Galette Leo Knights. In order to save the country, Princess Milchore summons a "hero" from the outer world. Shinku, a junior high school boy living in the Earth, is chosen as the hero.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: The summary really reminds me of Zero no Tsukaima. The summary looks decent so yes I’m giving this show a 4 episode try.
Sid: Hooray another young hero who is forced into battle because of his most likely “special powers”. Let’s hope the action is pretty good.


Tiger & Bunny
Release Date:
April 2, 2011
Animation Production: Sunrise
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
Schternbilt City is home to people called "Next," who use their special abilities to protect the people as superheroes. These heroes solve cases and save lives so they can wear sponsor logos or acquire "hero points." Their activities are documented on the popular program "Hero TV," which picks the "King of Heroes" in a yearly ranking. The veteran hero Wild Tiger has always preferred to work alone, but now he's been assigned the rookie Barnaby Brooks Jr., who has a different perspective on being a superhero.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: This is quiet unique and interesting and I love the concept. I am looking forward to this one but let’s see how this series goes cause if this is not my series I’ll probably drop it.
Sid: A different spin on heroes I suppose, kind of cool that they have a channel dedicated to watching their epic crime fighting. I don’t really like these types of anime but I’ll give it a shot because it definitely has potential. Judging from the preview though I’m not sure what to expect other than a little bit of comedy and some cool vehicle fight scenes.


Nichijou (Everyday)
Release Date:
April 2, 2011
Animation Production: Kyoto Animation
Episodes: 26
Trailer

Summary:

While the title suggests a story of simple, everyday school life, the contents are more the opposite. The setting is a strange school where you may see the principal wrestle a deer or a robot's arm hide a rollcake. However there are still normal stories, like making a card castle or taking a test you didn't study for.

Impression:

Chidori3souske: Heavily reminds me of Azumanga Daioh. I’ll try watching at least 4 episodes and if it sucks then sayonara even if this one is produced by KyoAni which is one of my favorite studios. I just hope they work their KyoAni magic on this one.
Sid: I watched “episode 0” of this anime and I actually kind of liked it. It wasn’t the funniest I’ve seen but the short skits were kind of neat. I’m sure it can be good if it keeps up the comedy.


Metal Fight Beyblade 4D
Release Date: April 3, 2011
Animation Production: Synergy SP
Episodes: ?

Summary:
The third season of Metal Fight Beyblade. The episode numbers continue from 103.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I have to admit that when I was still an elementary student I love the first Beyblade series but as my knowledge in anime widens, I realized that there are a LOT of shows better than this kind of shows that promote toys. So I’ll pass on this one.
Sid: I never watched the first two seasons, so pass for me.



Toriko
Release Date:
April 3, 2011
Animation Production: Toei Animation
Episodes: ?

Summary:
In the world where the taste and texture of food are very important there is Toriko, a hunter of precious foods regularly hired by restaurants and the rich. A man with inhuman skills to capture the ferocious, evasive and rare animals to complete his ultimate dinner course and then the chef Komatsu, his current accomplice: a weak timid person who was inspired by Toriko's greatness and accompanies him on all his journeys on his quest for the course of his life.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Not my kind of anime so another pass.
Sid: Strangely enough anime that have these kind of weird, non-appealing story lines generally catch my attention. I’m a huge fan of food (I mean come on who isn’t?) so that’s always a plus. I’m probably going to give a go because these shows end up surprising me on how addictive they can be.



Suzy’s Zoo: Daisuki! Witzy
Release Date:
April 3, 2011
Animation Production: Digital Media Lab
Episodes: ?

Summary:
The anime adapts the American greeting card line Suzy's Zoo from the San Diego-based artist Suzy Spafford.
The story will center around a duckling named Witzy and his stuffed animal friends in a verdant backyard.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Another kiddy show…pass
Sid: No thanks, pass.



Hana-Saku Iroha (Blooming Flowers ABC)
Release Date:
April 3, 2011
Animation Production: P.A. Works
Episodes: 26
Trailer

Summary:
Matsumae Ohana, a 16 year old girl, moves out of Tokyo and starts working at a hot spring hotel, which is located on a hill surrounded by cherry blossoms. Matsumae has yet to decide her future. The story will also feature other teenage girls who are looking for their dreams and excitements.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: That’s a surprise P.A. Works making a 26 episode anime since they usually stick with 13 ep series. One of the few shows I’m looking forward to specially that this one is an anime original. This seems like an emotional rollercoaster so count me in…this is a guaranteed watch.
Sid: I like the art style after watching the trailer and it seems to be a pretty solid slice of life. I really like that they have so many different characters. I’m hoping to find at least one that I like. I’ll check it out, seems like it can be a really good watch.


Showa Monogatari (The story of Showa)
Release Date:
April 3, 2011
Animation Production: Wao World
Episodes: 13

Summary:
Dramatic story of the Yamazaki family during the year Showa 39 (1964), the year that Tokyo hosted the Summer Olympics.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: The summary doesn’t impress me and there’s no trailer so another pass.
Sid: I’ll take a look, but not much to go with. Could be good, could be bad. Most dramas tend to be a bit tiresome though, so I doubt I will like this one.



Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai (We Don't Have Wings )
Release Date:
April 3, 2011
Animation Production: Nomad
Episodes: 12
Trailer

Summary:
A big city filled with people and buildings. It is now winter. When you look up, there is the cold white sky. Young people with anxiety. Love. This is just a story you can find anywhere.

Haneda Takashi has a secret he cannot speak of. To leave his dull school-life, he was supposed to have escaped to another world. However, he is reeled in by certain ties on his heart. One of these is Kobato, his awkward younger sister. The other is Watarai Asuka, his negligent girlfriend.

Chitose Syusuke is a poor freeloader. He passes his days working at various part-time jobs. One day, he has a disastrous first encounter with Tamaizumi Hiyoko. The next time they meet, Syusuke discovers that they are fellow employees at his part-time job.

Narita Hayato sees himself as a "hard-boiled" person. Back-breaking jobs are nothing to him. Hayato shuns normal human contact, but, during the nights, he would get together with delinquents and other denizens of the night. One such night, he meets the cheerful and oblivious Otori Naru.

The relationships with these girls will greatly affect these 3 young men. But what, exactly, is the relationship these young men have with each other?

Impression:
Chidori3souske:
Oh man another adaptation based from an eroge game. It looks ecchi so I’m not hoping much from this one but I think I’ll still give this a 4 episode chance.
Sid: The ecchi is probably going to turn me off from this anime, and as Chidori3souske said it is from an eroge game. I can’t expect anything good from this, but hopefully I’ll be surprised.


Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
Release Date:
April 11, 2011
Animation Production: Dogakobo
Episodes: 12
Trailer

Summary:

Kazuma moves to the country town of Yamabi Kochou together with Ayumu, his younger brother, due to the latter's weak constitution. On the way to Yorodzuyo, the inn in which they are lodging run by their father's old friend, they become lost in the unfamiliar rural environment. Further, a minor incident leads Kazuma further up the mountain...
There in the depths of the mountain, a girl appears before him...

Impression:
Chidori3souske: The summary looks cliché. The character design reminds me of Akikan. I don’t know……maybe I’ll give this show a chance?
Sid: Is this girl possibly a magical girl who grants whishes and believes in nothing but joy, love, and peace? Yeah probably. Let’s see how this goes with the obvious harem of girls.



Gintama (2011)
Release Date:
April 4, 2011
Animation Production: Sunrise
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
Life isn’t easy in feudal Japan… especially since the aliens landed and conquered everything! Oh sure, the new health care is great, but the public ban on the use of swords has left a lot of defeated samurai with a difficult decision to make concerning their future career paths! This is especially true if, as in the case of Gintoki Sakata, they’re not particularly inclined towards holding a day job, which is why Gintoki’s opted for the freelance route, taking any job that’s offered to him as long as the financial remuneration sounds right. Unfortunately, in a brave new world filled with stray bug-eyed montsters, upwardly mobile Yakuza and overly ambitious E.T. entrepreneurs, those jobs usually don’t pay as well as they should for the pain, suffering and indignities endured!

The continuation of Gintama.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I haven’t been following the original Gintama series so another pass.
Sid: I really like Gintama but I haven’t caught up yet so it is a pass for me as well.



Fireball Charming
Release Date:
April 4, 2011
Animation Production: Jinni’s Animation Production
Episodes: 13
Trailer

Summary:
A sequel to the first series of 3D computer animation shorts about female robot duchess named Drosel von Flügel and her guardian servant robot Gedächtnis.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Wow the trailer sure boast a good CGI graphics. Yes!! I’ll go watch this one
Sid: This looks awesome, and a great change in pace with the art style. I’m giving it a go because it seems to have a bit of comedy as well.



Sengoku Otome ~Momoiro Paradox~
Release Date:
April 4, 2011
Animation Production: TMS Entertainment
Episodes: ?
Trailer, Game Trailer

Summary:
Hideyoshi is a normal modern middle-schoolgirl. However, she is one day transported to a world very similar to feudal Japan, with the exception that there are no men! There, she meets Oda Nobunaga whose ambition it is to unite all the land under her rule and gather together the "Legendary Crimson Armor".

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Interesting premise but I have the feeling that it’ll be your average game to anime adaptation but still I’ll go and watch at least 4 eps.
Sid: No men eh? That sounds like some fun. Hopefully the action is pretty cool and ecchi isn’t too bad. I mean come on, look at their armor, there is no way that is going to stay on in an anime.


Tono to Issho: Gantai no Yabou
Release Date: April 4, 2011
Animation Production: Gathering
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
Comedy parodying famous samurai generals and historical events.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Errrr….pass since I’m not too familiar with those famous generals and historical events so I probably won’t understand the jokes.
Sid: I’ll have no idea what they are talking about but I’ll still give it a shot because I might get a laugh or two in.



Kaiji: Hakairoku Hen
Release Date:
April 5, 2011
Animation Production: Madhouse
Episodes: ?

Summary:
Itou Kaiji is a bum who steals car emblems and slashes tires on what seems to be a regular basis. This routine changes one day when he is paid a visit by a man in a trench-coat. Once the two get talking, it seems that the visitor (Calling himself Endou) is a debt collector. The reason for his visit is an unpaid loan which Kaiji had previously co-signed for a work-mate (Furuhata Takeshi). The original loan was 300,000 yen and once Takeshi had disappeared, the loan then fell on Kaiji.

Kaiji is then told of a way to clear the interest compounded debt (which stood at 3,850,000 yen), which involved getting on a boat with others in his position. Once on the boat the debtors would then have to gamble with loaned money, which would end with a few winning, and others getting into deeper debt and having to work to pay of their debts. After some coercion Kaiji accepts a position on the boat, in order to clear his dept and make a bit of money as well...

Adaptation of the "Chika Chinchiro" and "Pachinko Numa" stories from the Tobaku Hakairoku Kaiji manga.

Impression:
Chidori3souske:
I didn’t watch the original Kaiji series so yep this one is another pass.
Sid: Pass for the same reasons. Though I might check out the manga.



Steins;Gate
Release Date:
April 5, 2011
Animation Production: WHITE FOX
Episodes: 24
Trailer

Summary:
Steins;Gate is set in the summer of 2010, approximately one year after the events that took place in Chaos;Head, in Akihabara.
Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past. As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN who has been doing their own research on time travel tracks them down and now the characters have to find a way to avoid being captured by them.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I didn’t finish watching Chaos;Head since I lost interest in it. Since this series is stand alone from Chaos;Head, I’ll probably pick this up since the premise seems interesting.
Sid: I’m not sure if I should check this one out or not because there might be some bits and pieces I’m missing from not watching Chaos: Head. If it really is a stand alone I’ll give it a go.





Happy Kappy
Release Date:
April 6, 2011
Animation Production: Shogakukan Music & Digital Entertainment
Episodes: ?

Summary:
The story revolves around Kinoshita Suguri, a nine-year-old third-grade girl who loves animals and making fashion accessories. One day, while Suguri is out buying materials for accessories, she comes across an unusual rock. Thinking it would look cute on a bracelet, she goes to pick up the rock and discovers a creature named Kappy. Kappy happens to be the three-year-old prince of Kapimeshia.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Another kiddy show, another pass.
Sid: Pass.



30-sai no Hoken Taiiku
Release Date:
April 6, 2011
Animation Production: Gathering
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
* Based on Mitsuba and Ichijinsha's 30-sai no Hoken Taiiku (Health and Physical Education for 30-Year-Olds) guidebook. The guide is aimed at men in their 30s who have not experienced romance or sex with women yet.

Imagawa Hayao is a 30 year-old virgin bachelor. One day, a "cupid" descends from heaven with the express purpose of forcing him to "graduate" from virginity. Thus unfolds a pure love story between a 30 year-old bachelor and a 30 year-old bachelorette.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: What the hell?! I might watch it for the lulz
Sid: Even without understanding Japanese the trailer felt wrong… yet I couldn’t look away. I’m going to check it out, who knows how it might turn out. Looks pretty funny, and have Panty and Stocking I think I can handle any sex jokes they may (probably will) throw out.


Sket Dance
Release Date:
April 7, 2011
Animation Production: Tatsunoko Production
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
The manga focuses on the misadventures of the "Campus Support Group" or "Sket-Dan", of Kaimei Gakuen, a club devoted to solving any and all problems brought to it by the staff or student body for the general improvement of campus life. Due to its general lack of meaningful assignments and unglamorous 'group of handymen' reputation the organization is treated with widespread contempt and it is composed of only three members.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I’ll give this show a chance but if its not my taste then bye-bye.
Sid: I actually kind of like these anime. It seems like it can be pretty good, and the three main characters seem pretty interesting. I’m hoping they don’t do too many “love letter delivery” jobs though. I’ll give it a go and probably watch it till the end.



Hyouge Mono
Release Date:
April 7, 2011
Animation Production: Bee Train
Episodes: 39

Summary:
The story is set during Japan's Sengoku Jidai (Era of the Warring States) and centers on Furuta Sasuke, a vassal of the great warlord Oda Nobunaga and a man obsessed with tea ceremony and material desires in his pursuit of a fortuitous life. Having learned from Oda and the legendary tea master Sen no Soueki, Furuta walks the way of the Hyouge Mono.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Not my kind of anime so pass.
Sid: Sad to say it sounds pretty boring so I don’t think I’ll watch it all the way through. Plus thirty nine episodes is quite a lot for an anime (and a rather odd number too?).



Moshidora
Release Date:
April 25, 2011
Animation Production: Production I.G.
Episodes: 10
Trailer

Summary:
A high school girl mistakenly reads Drucker's Management and she leads a baseball club to victory according to the lessons in the book.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: The ponytailed girl made me want to watch this show. I’m not a fan of sports anime but let’s see, I’ll go try this one.
Sid: Hoping this isn’t like other sports anime. Come on something funny!


Hidan no Aria (Aria the Scarlet Ammo)
Release Date:
April 14, 2011
Animation Production: J.C. Staff
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
The story takes place in Tokyo Butei High School, a special school where armed detectives — "Butei" — are trained to use weapons. Kinji Tooyama is a second-year-student who has a special ability, but he keeps it a secret to maintain an ordinary, peaceful life. However, when he gets caught in a bombing on the way to school, he encounters H. Aria Kanzaki, the most powerful S-Rank Butei student in Assault Studies.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Ooooh another J.C. Staff show of course I’m in!
Sid: Girls. Guns. I’m in.





A Channel
Release Date:
April 7, 2011
Animation Production: Studio Gokumi
Episodes: ?
Trailer 1, Trailer 2, Trailer 3

Summary:
The story revolves around the everyday life of four high school girls: the flighty Run, the reckless Tooru, the timid Yuuko, and the level-headed Nagi.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Oh WOW the character design is just so moé its been pressing some buttons on me *evil smiles*. Oh I see some staff from Saki here…maybe worth the watch. The black haired girl is really irresistable XD
Sid: Dare I say another Lucky Star? Hopefully the comedy is just as good at least! I’m going to watch this one till the end guaranteed.


Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (Electromagnetic Wave Woman and Adolescent Man)
Release Date:
April 14, 2011
Animation Production: SHAFT
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
The story revolves around a highschool boy named Niwa Makoto. He lives with his aunt’s family since his parents are away on business. It is there where he meets his mysterious cousin of the same age Touwa Erio — who happens to tie a futon mattress around her upper body and is a self-proclaimed alien. Her staple food is pizza. Erio had been missing for half a year and was found floating in the sea. She doesn't remember anything about what happened during that period of time, but she began to think that it was the act of an alien and wanders the neighbourhood wrapped in the futon.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Oh God…..Erio is so adorable in that PV. Why can’t I find a translated novel of this? Well yes, the summary reminds me of Arakawa Under the Bridge but heck I think this won’t be a rip off of that. I hope this will be an awesome anime under SHAFT. Yep guaranteed watch for me.
Sid: I am a huge fan of SHAFT productions so I’m obviously going to check it out. I’m rather drawn to these type of anime it seems At the very least the PV art/song were cool. Hopefully the comedy and story match it as well.


Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera
Release Date:
April 7, 2011
Animation Production: Brain’s base
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
It's Tokyo in the 1970s, and evil youkai (goblins) are attacking the human world. The "Youkai Patrol" - Enma, Princess Yukiko, Kapaeru, and Grandpa Shappo - are sent from hell to exterminate them.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Why do I get the feeling that this series will be an episodic one. Maybe I’ll try at least 2 episodes?
Sid: Eh… it doesn’t look all that great, but I have been plenty wrong before. I’ll give it the standard number of episode watches before making my decision. If it even holds onto a small piece of my attention I’ll watch it all the way through.


Maria Holic Alive
Release Date:
April 7, 2011
Animation Production: SHAFT
Episodes: ?
Trailer (You need a Nico account to view this), Trailer 2 (season 1 trailer)

Summary:
Season 2 of Maria Holic

It’s not easy to find the perfect girl, even when you’re the same sex! Kanako thought attending an all-girls school would be the perfect way to meet the girl of her dreams, but after her hot new roommate turns out to be a guy in drag, and catching the eye of the most popular girl in school only brings down the wrath of all the OTHER similarly obsessed girls, she’s not so sure! Complicate things with a cat-eared dorm leader, her roommate’s rude-mannered maid, an identical twin sister (who attends an all-boys school of course) and WAY too many attractive girls of questionable persuasions and the question becomes whether Kanako will die from frustrated nosebleeds! (Life would be SO much easier if guys didn’t literally give her the hives!) Will Kanako ever find a non-polar opposite of a compatible non-opposing polarity? Let’s just say that the quest for true love will not run straight in Maria Holic.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I just love the 1st season of this since its just so hilarious but didn’t like how it ended. Nevertheless here’s the 2nd season and I’m hoping it’ll be more hilarious than season 1. I sure want to see more battered and abused Kanako XD
Sid: After watching the season one trailer I have to watch it ASAP so I can enjoy the second season as well. That’s right, I’ve already decided I enjoyed the series before even watching it. Whatcha gonna do ‘bout it?


Sofuteni
Release Date:
April 7, 2011
Animation Production: XEBEC
Episodes: 12
Trailer

Summary:
The tennis comedy centers around the members of a female middle school soft tennis team and the twists and turns that their lives take as they aim for the nationals.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Will this be full of panty shots? I think its cheap of them of they’ll resort to that just to make this a comedy. Oh well maybe if I have the time I’ll go try at least 2 eps.
Sid: I don’t like tennis and I don’t like seeing middle school girls’ underwear. I’ll give it two episodes then probably decide to drop it.


Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. (TV)
Release Date:
April 8, 2011
Animation Production: Production I.G.
Episodes: ?

Summary:
Akutabe is a detective who summons devils to solve the troubles of his clients. One day, a low class devil Azazel Atsushi is summoned by Akutabe and is used harshly by him and his assistant Rinko.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I honestly don’t know if I’ll pass or try this one…
Sid: When I first saw the anime series image and read the summary I thought “Eh, why not?”. And that is what I’m still thinking.



Hen Zemi (TV)
Release Date:
April 8, 2011
Animation Production: XEBEC
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
Matsutaka Nanako is a normal university student, who happened to enroll in an Abnormal Physiology seminar. She tries to keep her mental state sound, but other abnormal classmates start to influence her personality...

Impression:
Chidori3souske: A couple of episodes maybe?
Sid: I am probably going to watch this till the end simply because it has to do with university students and I want to watch something that doesn’t revolve around (pre-)teens.



Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi
Release Date:
April 8, 2011
Animation Production: Studio DEEN
Episodes: 12
Trailer

Summary:
Onodera Ritsu has just transferred from his father's publishing company to Marukawa Shoten. Assigned to the shoujo manga division, he crosses path with the person he'd least expected to meet. Takano Masamune is the editor-in-chief of the division Ritsu's been assigned to, and the two seem get off on the wrong foot right from the very start when Takano unexpectedly kisses him. However, there is more to than what meets the eye: Takano is actually Saga, Ritsu's senpai and high school love, whom Ritsu had thought to have played him for a fool by taking his affections for granted when he confessed and summarily dumped him.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Not really fond of Yaoi/Shounen Ai genre so yeah, pass.
Sid: Not a fan of the genre either so I’ll pass it unless told otherwise by one of you.


Pretty Rhythm: Aurora Dream
Release Date:
April 9, 2011
Animation Production: Tatsunoko Production
Episodes: ?

Summary:
Prism Stars are performers on the new popular ice show, Prism Show. They are superidols whose techniques, singing and fashion sense are a cut above all others. Aira and Rizumu are two Prism Stars whose goal is to become the best, the Prism Queen. However, the road to success is bumpy.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Looks crappy for me but let’s see. I’ll try a couple of eps…
Sid: Haha this is probably going to be pretty bad I’m in it for the lulz. Who knows maybe it will have a decent soundtrack?



Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai Hen
Release Date: April 10, 2011
Animation Production: Toei Animation
Episodes: ?

Summary:

After defeating Black Shaft's makeshift Team USA and proving their worth to the Shadow Clan, Team Golden Japan Jr. will finally enter the World Jr. Boxing Tournament. In order to fulfill their goal of a perfect victory they'll have to take on teams from countries like Mexico, Italy, France, Germany, and the mysterious and godlike Team Greece.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Pass, I don’t follow this series.
Sid: Pass.



Astarotte no Omocha!
Release Date:
April 10, 2011
Animation Production: Diomedea
Episodes: 12
Trailer

Summary:
In the medieval fantasy world of Alfheimr, succubus princess Astarotte Ygvar, the first princess of the kingdom of Ygvar, has just reached the age of 10. For the coming years of a young succubus' life, it is necessary for them to have a male harem. In order to maintain their body and preserve their beautiful appearance, they must consume a substance only found on males. This substance is a liquid called Sauzfryma, better known as semen. The princess, however, bears a great dislike against men, and only agrees to create a harem if a human male is to join. The catch is, nobody has been able to travel between Alfheimr and the human world, Midgard, for over a millennium.

Impression:

Chidori3souske: Another loli voiced by Kugumiya Rei *groans*. From the trailer and summary looks ecchi and I’ll probably drop this anyway but yes, I’ll try a couple of episodes.
Sid: I’ll give it my usual number of episode watches. The summary tells me that it wont be that great anyway so I doubt I’ll be missing much. Though I might watch it till the end even if I consider it a below average anime for you guys.


Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal
Release Date: April 11, 2011
Animation Production: Studio Dice
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
The series is set in the near future. Yuma Tsukumo is the number one bad boy at his school. Something unexpected happens as Ryoga Kamishiro challenges him to a Duel. When the mysterious entity Astral appears before them a new legend begins.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Another series that promotes games….pass…
Sid: Passing it because I’m not a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh!.



Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II
Release Date:
April 11, 2011
Animation Production: Manglobe
Episodes: ?
Trailer

Summary:
Katsuragi Keima, a second-year high school student, is an avid dating sim gamer. He is known on the Internet as The Capturing God for his legendary skills to be able to capture any 2D girl in games. However, in his actual school life, Keima is known as otamegane (オタメガネ), a derogatory portmanteau of the two words otaku (オタク) and megane (メガネ - glasses).
Following the events of the first series Keima has managed to capture the hearts of four girls and thus the spirits which hid in their hearts. But the way to escape the real world is still long and his quest has only just begun. Suddenly a beautiful girl chasing a spirit appears before him. She is Haqua, Elsea's friend and an outstanding student back in hell, who was promoted to the rank of a district chief. However, it seems that she is hiding something. And once again Keima has to become a god. The capture target this time - a demon.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: I haven’t tried watching the 1st season so I’ll probably pass on this one. Hey Sid is this worth watching?
Sid: @Chidori3souske I quite enjoyed the first season so I’m definitely going to give this one a go. There were ups and downs like any other anime and I’m hoping in the second season they step up their game. My biggest fear is that it will be the same repetitive nonsense. With the new introduction of a new demon things may get interesting. Who knows? Maybe there will be more character development this time around.


Seikon no Qwaser II
Release Date:
April 11, 2011
Animation Production: Hoods Entertainment
Episodes: ?

Summary:
The second season of Seikon no Qwaser.
In St. Mikhailov Academy, Oribe Mafuyu meets a silver haired boy called Alexander. He is a Qwaser, a being who can manipulate iron and draws his power from breast milk. A mystery surrounding an icon tranforms the academy into a setting for conflict between the various Qwasers.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Errrrr too much fan service that’s why I passed on the first season so this one is a pass also.
Sid: Because of the fan service in the first season I didn’t watch it, so I wont watch this one either.





Honto ni Atta! Reibai-Sensei (TV)
Release Date:
April 13, 2011
Animation Production: DLE Inc.
Episodes: ?

Summary:
Kibayashi Juri is an eccentric teacher of a junior high school. Her pupils get involved in the troubles caused by ghosts and yokai demons summoned by Juri. In a history class, Juri summons the spirit of Nobunaga into a calm girl called Nitta Eri which makes her a spunky girl.

Impression:
Chidori3souske: This looks decent and fun…I’ll try a couple of episodes
Sid: I saw the image and that alone got me wanting to check this one out. Plus how many anime follow the life of a teacher? Could be something somewhat new at least.



C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
Release Date:
April 14, 2011
Animation Production: Tatsunoko Productions
Episodes: 11
Trailer 1, Trailer 2

Summary:
The Japanese government was rescued from the brink of financial collapse by the Sovereign Wealth Fund. For its citizens, however, life has not improved, and unemployment, crime, suicide, and despair are rampant. Kimimaro, raised by his maternal grandmother after the disappearance of his father and the death of his mother, is a scholarship student whose only dream is to avoid all this and live a stable life. One day, however, he meets a man who offers him a large sum of money if he'll agree to pay it back. From then on his fate is radically altered as he's drawn into a mysterious area known as "The Financial District."

Impression:
Chidori3souske: One of the shows I’m looking forward this season. The premise of the story is really interesting so yes another guarantee watch for me.
Sid: Look intense and the trailer sounds fantastic. I’m going to be watching this till the end, can’t wait.



Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai.
Release Date:
April 14, 2011
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures
Episodes: 11
Trailer

Summary:

Once, there was a group of close childhood friends. However, by the time they entered high school, they had grown apart from each other.

These are:
Jin-tan - The hikikomori.
Anaru - She just wants to hang out with her girlfriends.
Yukiatsu and Tsuruko - These two are proper school-going students.
Poppo - Rather than enter high school, he had opted to do some travelling.
Menma - The one unchanging constant of the group.
One day, Menma meets Jin-tan and asks him to fulfil her wish. For this, these widely separated companions gather once more.

Impression:

Chidori3souske: Sure the setting of the story isn’t as exciting as the others you found on this list but when I watched the trailer I had the feeling that this is one of the shows that is an emotional ride. I want to watch shows that could make me cry since its been a while when I watched Clannad After Story. I’m really looking forward to this.
Sid: Most drama anime tend to make me turn away because I don’t care about their little problems. Most seem to exaggerate how bad the characters’ lives are. However, there have been some exceptions like 5cm per Second which I found emotionally brilliant. The trailer doesn’t give much wiggle room in terms of my first impression, but hopefully it can find its way to be considered a good anime.


Deadman Wonderland
Release Date:
April 16, 2011
Animation Production: Manglobe
Episodes: 12

Summary:
A massive earthquake ravaged Japan's mainland and destroyed most of Tokyo, sinking three-quarters of it into the ocean. Ten years later, the story starts with Igarashi Ganta, a seemingly ordinary, unassuming middle school student attending Nagano Prefecture's middle school. An escapee, a survivor of the great earthquake, Ganta has no memories of the tragedy and has lived a simple, normal life. This all changes one day when a strange man covered in blood and crimson armour appears, floating, out of his classroom windows. Smirking madly, this Red Man massacres Ganta's entire class and, instead of killing him, embeds a red crystal shard in his chest. Within days of the massacre, Ganta is declared the sole suspect and, following a suspiciously quick trial, is sentenced to life imprisonment in Deadman Wonderland, a massive theme-park-like prison.

Impression:

Chidori3souske: Ooohhh the character backgrounds sure is interesting, and gosh I read a spoiler >_< oh well with that I’m looking forward in seeing Hana Kanezawa voice Shiro with a dual personality.
Sid: After reading the manga (which is still ongoing but seems to be coming to a close) I have been waiting for this day to come. I know it is only 12 episodes and it probably wont get as far as the manga, but I can’t wait for this to be released. It is easily my most looked forward to anime for the season. Hopefully they don’t censor the gore too much or speed through the story.


Ao no Exorcist
Release Date:
April 17, 2011
Animation Production: A-1 Pictures
Episodes: 25
Trailer

Summary:
This world consists of two dimensions joined as one, like a mirror. The first is the world in which the humans live, Assiah. The other is the world of demons, Gehenna. Ordinarily, travel between the two, and indeed any kind of contact between the two, is impossible. However the demons can pass over into this world by possessing anything that exist within it. Satan the god of demons, but there's one thing that he doesn't have, and that's a substance in the human world that is powerful enough to contain him!! For that purpose he created Rin, his son from a human woman, but will his son agree to his plans? Or will he become something else...? An exorcist?

Impression:
Chidori3souske: Another series with interesting premise and trailer so yep I’m gonna watch this.
Sid: From the trailer and summary I’m going to give this series a go. The facial expressions are what really took me in. The evil grins and aggressive looks makes it seem strong impact anime. You can’t see much in the trailer, but the action seems decent as well.





Appleseed XIII
Release Date:
June 13, 2011
Animation Production: JINNI’s Animation & Production I.G.
Episodes: 13
Trailer

Summary:
New adaptation of Masamune Shirow manga

Impression:

Chidori3souske: I honestly don’t have any idea on what this series is about but heck the trailer looked action packed so count me in!
Sid: I’m not sure what is with the heavy use of CG this season, but with a sci-fi it hopefully wont be too bad. From the looks of it the story will be pretty interesting and the combat seems intense. Let’s hope they follow through.


Chidori3souske’s Picks:
Kämpfer für die Liebe (!)
Dog Days (?)
Tiger & Bunny (?)
Nichijou (?)
Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi (?)
Hana-Saku Iroha (!)
Fireball Charming (!)
Sengoku Otome ~Momoiro Paradox~ (?)
Steins;Gate (?)
30-sai no Hoken Taiiku (?)
Sket Dance (?)
Moshidora (!)
Hidan no Aria (!)
A Channel (!)
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (!)
Maria Holic Alive (!)
Hen Zemi (TV) (?)
Astarotte no Omocha! (?)
Honto ni Atta! Reibai-Sensei (?)
C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (!)
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai (!)
Deadman Wonderland (!)
Ao no Exorcist (!)
Appleseed XIII (!)

Sid’s Picks:
Kämpfer für die Liebe (!)
Jewelpet Sunshine (?)
Dog Days (?)
Tiger & Bunny (?)
Nichijou (!)
Toriko (?)
Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi (?)
Hana-Saku Iroha (!)
Fireball Charming (!)
Sengoku Otome ~Momoiro Paradox~ (?)
Steins;Gate (?)
30-sai no Hoken Taiiku (?)
Sket Dance (!)
Moshidora (!)
Hidan no Aria (!)
A Channel (!)
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (!)
Maria Holic Alive (!)
Hen Zemi (TV) (!)
Pretty Rhythm: Aurora Dream (?)
Astarotte no Omocha! (?)
World God Only Knows S2 (!)

Honto ni Atta! Reibai-Sensei (?)
C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (!)
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai (?)
Deadman Wonderland (!)
Ao no Exorcist (!)
Appleseed XIII (!)
**Legend
(!) = Priority/Guaranteed Watch
(?) = Only a couple of episodes or none at all


Whew, that’s a LOT of shows. Hopefully I could watch almost all of them and then make first impressions. I hope I won’t be disappointed this season. I hope with this list we were able to help you find new shows to follow.

So what’s your pick this spring?


until then…


~ja



SPRING ANIME 2011 – Nico Nico Douga Preview


No comments:

Post a Comment